Skip to main content

Very High Alert

Tier 3

30 December

This tier is not currently applicable to any of the North East areas.

Things you can still do

  • See friends and family in outdoor public places (in a group of up to 6).
  • Go outside as much as you like, but keep social interactions low.
  • Go to work if you can’t work from home.
  • Go to university, college or school.
  • Visit essential and non-essential shops.
  • Visit the hairdressers, nail salon and so on.
  • Attend weddings and funerals.
  • Attend places of worship.

Things to Remember

Friends & Family

You can

Meet with friends and family outside your household or support bubble in groups of up to 6 in outdoor settings, like parks, beaches, countryside, forests, public gardens, allotments, outdoor sports court, and playgrounds.

You can't

Meet with friends and family indoors, in homes, pubs and hospitality venues unless they are part of your household or support bubble.

Food & Drink

You can

Use takeaway, delivery, and click and collect services. 

You can't

Go out for a meal or drink – bars, pubs, cafes, restaurants, and social clubs should all be closed.


You can

Work from home when your employer, in consultation with you, judges that you can carry out your normal duties from home. 

You can't

Work from home if you’re a public sector employee working in essential services.

Higher Education

You can

Leave home and travel to go to college or university.

You can't

Move back and forward between your permanent home and student home during term time (subject to limited exemptions).

Leisure Activities

You can

Visit leisure and sports centres.

Go to the shops.

Visit personal care and close-contact services such as hairdressers and barbers, beauty salons, tattoo parlours, nail salons, spas,  beauty services, saunas, steam rooms, massage parlours and tanning salons.

You can't

Attend group exercise or dance classes.

Visit the following which should all be closed: indoor play centres, casinos, bingo halls, bowling alleys, skating rinks, amusement arcades, cinemas, theatres and concert halls.



You can

Get childcare support from registered childcare providers, professional childcare providers in the home (a nanny, for example), wraparound care, youth groups and activities, and children’s playgroups.

Form a childcare bubble with one other household to provide informal childcare, where the child is 13 or under.

You can't

Let friends or family who are not part of a support or childcare bubble into your home to help with childcare.


You can

Travel to the shops or facilities that are open, for work, or to access education – but try to reduce the number of journeys you make.

You can't

Travel into or out of your Tier 3 area, unless you need to for work, education, to access youth services or because of caring responsibilities.


You can

Go to weddings and civil partnership ceremonies.

Go to a funeral in a Covid-secure or public outdoor space.

You can't

Hold a wedding or civil partnership with more than 15 people.

Hold a funeral with more than 30 people in attendance.


You can

Go to places of worship.

You can't

Mingle with anyone outside your household or support bubble.

Thank You

This site uses cookies to give you a better experience. Find out more on our Privacy Policy.

Back to top